My name is Dani Novak, and I have been a member of Jasenovac Research Institute (JRI) for many years. My grandfather died in Jasenovac and many members of my family died in Jadovno and Pag in 1941.
I was born in Israel in 1949, from Jewish parents. In 2005, I started exploring what happened to my family.
The reason for my letter to you is two fold:
- Share information about a Zoom conference that is being planned to happen on Sunday July 19, 2020. (11:00 am New York Time). The start of the second part will be a week later on July 26th. Details will follow.
- Ask you if you have any family members who died in the Balkans in WWII and if you want to commemorate them in the conference.
If you have questions/ideas please feel free to Email me directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The first part of the conference will start on Sunday July 19, 2020. The start of the second part will be a week later on July 26th. Details will follow.
The conference will have three components:
- Information – What happened in the Independent State of Croatia (NDH) during WWII
- Commemoration – Remembering our Loved Ones who suffered and/or died during that time
- Reconciliation – How can we overcome the Trauma that was caused by what happened in the Independent State of Croatia (NDH) in WWII
Some of the speakers are: Barry Lituchy, Dani Novak, Dušan Bastašić, Gideon Greif, Miriam Aviezer, Rory Yeomans. They will be talking on the Ustasa movement, Jadovno Complex, Jasenovac and on The righteous among the nation (Pravednici među narodima).
In between the two days of the conference you will be given an assignment to watch a few movies on your own time and read some online information.
If you want to participate in the conference (actively or passively), you have 2 options:
- Add your name to the LIST and/or
- Fill this short form (LINK) (especially if you want to take an active role in the conference)
In addition, if you want to commemorate members of your family who suffered and/or died under the Ustasa or Nazis regimes in WWII please write their names. If you have pictures, please include a picture for each person and a paragraph of what happened and any other relevant details. The Information that you provide will be displayed in the Commemoration Part of the conference in a sacred way (that will include prayer). Here is an example LINK of what I wrote from my own family.
Email me the information at email@example.com .
- My mother, Zdenka Novak, who was born and lived in Zagreb Croatia, wrote a book about her life and how she survived WWII in former Yugoslavia. Mom passed away in 2003. By her request I started exploring what happened to our family.
- Here is a Link to my mother’s online book in English. You can also find a paper copy of the book in English or Croatian.
- My mother also gave a Video interview with this LINK (Croatian with English Subtitles)
- Dušan Bastašić and the organization Jadovno 1941. was very useful in my search.
- Through Dusan’s help I found what happened to our family (see for example: LINK)
Yours with Love and Respect,